Theodore E.G. Pound
Ted Pound has been practicing law in Atlanta since 1982. His practice focuses on civil litigation and trial practice in state and federal court, including defense of healthcare providers in professional liability litigation and representation of plaintiffs and in a wide range of other personal injury cases. He has defended physicians and hospitals in hundreds of medical malpractice cases, including dozens of jury trials; he has represented businesses on either side of commercial disputes; he has handled numerous slip-and-fall, automotive liability and products actions; he has represented catastrophically injured plaintiffs in construction disasters; he has successfully resolved wrongful death actions for the families of individuals fatally injured as the result of others' negligence.
Ted began practicing law in 1982 with the Atlanta firm of Swift, Currie, McGhee & Hiers. Until 1988, he practiced with Drew Eckl & Farnham, one of the largest insurance defense firm in Georgia, representing individuals and insurance carriers in a range of personal injury litigation, including premises liability, automobile, products liability, and professional negligence cases. In the early years of his practice, he also was engaged in extensive pro bono representation of indigent clients and in 1986 received the S. Phillip Heiner Award of the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation.
Ted has tried more than 50 cases to a jury verdict in state and federal courts in Georgia. For the past several years, he has managed a diverse practice representing both plaintiffs and defendants in significant personal injury litigation as a sole practitioner and now as a member of a small firm, including business disputes, premises liability and wrongful death actions arising in the construction setting. He is admitted to practice in the Superior Courts of Georgia, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Georgia, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Georgia, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Ted lives in northwest Atlanta with his wife, Susan, and their two young children. He has two grown daughters, one a registered nurse and the other a high school teacher, who live with their husbands in North Carolina. He has been an active member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Atlanta for almost 30 years. For more than ten years, he served on the board and was a recent past president of the Atlanta Enterprise Center, a job-training program for the homeless, now known as the Atlanta Center for Self Sufficiency.
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Honors: Bryant T. Castellow Scholar, 1979-81; Rutgers Award for best brief in national competition, Jessup International Moot Court Competition, 1981.
- Activities: Articles Editor, Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law, 1981-82; Brussels Seminar on the Law and Institutions of the European Communities, summer, 1980; Hague Academy of International Law, Session on Public International Law, summer, 1980, and Session on Private International Law (Dean Rusk Scholar), summer, 1981; teaching assistant (business law) to Professor Robert N. Corley in Terry College of Business Administration, 1981-82; research assistant (law of the sea) to Professor Milner S. Ball in School of Law, 1980-81.
- Yale University, B.A., Economics and Political Science, 1979
- Honors: National Merit Scholar; Yale Heavyweight Crew, 1974-76; Pierson College Athletic Secretary, 1978-79.
- Activities: Fence Club; Berzelius Society; Pierson College Athletic Award, 1979.
- Georgia, 1982
- Superior Courts of Georgia, 1982
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Honors & Awards
- S. Phillip Heiner Award of the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, 1986
- Professional Liability Issues for Physician Assistants, Emory University School of Medicine, Physician Assistant Program, 2016, 2015, 2014
- Professional Liability Issues in the Practice of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Piedmont Healthcare, Department of Women and Newborn Services Faculty Conference, 2016.